In Turkey while walking in the streets, you can see people sell sesame bagels. It is very common street food in Turkey. Recently some franchisor companies have opened fast food restaurants and sell only sesame bagels with many menu choices. One of the famous one is called “Simit Sarayi” (www.simitsarayi.com). If Turkish people start living in abroad, the first thing they mostly miss is “Simit”. So it happenned to me too. When I moved to US, the first recipe I was searching was sesame bagel. But we are not used to cooking it at homes. This is the thing you can buy from the streets or from the bakery. No one can hope to cook same bagels at home. I tried to cook bagels a few times. They were not bad. Last week I tried once again and this time, the sasame bagels become as close as its real one. There are a few types of bagels in Turkey. The famous ones are called with their city name, such as Ankara Simidi, Istanbul or Izmir Simidi. I tried Ankara Simidi and they were really good and like real Simit!!These sesame bagels are different than I posted as sesame biscuits. This is more like a bread, or bagel. These bagels can be eat with cheese and tomato for a breakfast or lunch. I really recommend you to give it a try!!
I adopted this recipe from Evcini’s website. I would like to thank for her recipe.
For the dough: 4 cups bread flour, 1 1/3 cup water, 1 teaspoon active yeast, 1 1/4 teaspoon salt.
For the top of bagels: 1 1/2 cups sesame, 1/4 cup molasses, 1/8 cup water and 1 egg.
- Combine flour, water, yeast and salt together. You can knead the dough with hand for 20 mins. and rest the dough for an hour for rising, or you can use bread machine for kneading the dough and for fermentation. I used bread machine and rest the dough in the refrigrator in a few hours.
- When the dough is ready, cut the dough into about 10-12 cm circles.
- In a bowl, mix the molasses, water and egg.
- In a pan stir the sesame on the heat a few minutes. So the white color of sesame should turn into brown.
- When the circle doughes are ready, cover the circles first with molasses mixture then cover them with sesame, and place the circle doughes on lightly greased baking sheet, lined with wax paper.
- Get ready the oven for the bagels. Heat the oven 450˚F and for softer bagels, place water in the oven in a heat proof cup.
- When the oven is ready you can cook the bagels. In my oven, there is no fan. I cooked 15 mins. Next times, I could try 17 mins.