This is a very famous and sweet dessert from Turkiye! I told you before. Since I moved to US, I started searching Turkish recipes, especially the recipes that comes first from the memory. Suddenly I found myself missing all the food from childhood, or very well known Turkish food.
I first try Sekerpare as a dessert. I read many recipes from lots of food blogs. I tried to cook many times. I think I finally come to a good point to share a recipe with you. After this accomplishment, I tried another dessert called “Revani” for my family. I will share its recipe next time, I hope soon. Revani has syrup too. I realised we use syrup very much for Turkish desserts. The most famous one is actually Baklava. My husband is good at cooking Baklava so I don’t need to try to cook it, but still I can share his recipe in the future. First I should make him cook Baklava, I need some photos 🙂
For the dough: 1 stick butter (melted), 4 tbsp powdered sugar, 1/8 cup olive oil, 1 egg ( seperate the egg yolk to use later for the top of the Sekerpare), 4 tbsp semolina, 3/4 tsp baking powder, 1 tsp vanilla, 1 tbsp granulated coconut, 1 3/4 cup all purpose flour.
For the syrup: 1 1/4 cup water, 1 1/4 cup sugar, 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
For the top: Walnut
- First make the syrup so you can have cold syrup ready when the Sekerpare are cooked.
- To make the syrup, boil the water and sugar together. When the mixture come to the boiling point, boil it extra 2 minutes, add lemon juice and stop boiling.
- When the syrup ready, start mix all dough inredients.
- For the dough, first mix the sugar and butter with electric mixer.
- When the sugar and butter well mixed, add olive oil, egg white, semolina, baking powder, vanilla and coconut.
- Then add flour slowly and continue mixing.
- When you add all flour, stop electric mixer and use your hand to get a big dough ball. Knead a little bit the dough.
- Get ready the tray. Oil the tray or use wax paper.
- Get the oven ready. Set it to 350˚F.
- Shape the dough into walnut size balls and put them to the tray.
- Egg wash all the sekerpares with the yolk and put walnut to the top of each of sekerpares.
- Cook the sekerpares in the oven at 350˚F for about 40 mins or when the tops are nice and gold and brown.
- When the sekerpares are cooked and out of the oven, pour immidiately the syrup onto the dessert.
- Serve the sekerpares when they are cold. You can keep them in the refrigerator.